Adding New Project
- Go to file, select new. This will open a screen for blank project click ok.
- You can now enter your project information viz. start date, finish date and also how would you like to schedule the project from either start or finish date.
- You can also chose selection if you will be using night shifts.
- Select Gantt Chart view from the view menu.
- You’ll have a spreadsheet where you can now enter information of all the activities i.e. task name, duration, start date, end date, predecessors and various other fields.
- You can enter required information in two ways, in spreadsheet or when you double click on cell you get pop up window in which you can enter all the information of that particular activity.
- For predecessor activity you need to write activity number.
- The SW itself will calculate start and end date.
- Now the Gantt Chart is complete.
Adding tasks and milestones to a Project File
- On the View menu, click Gantt Chart.
- In the Task Name field, type a task name, and then press TAB. (Microsoft Project enters an estimated duration of one day for the task followed by a question mark)
- In the Duration field, type the amount of time each task will take in months, weeks, days, hours, or minutes, not counting nonworking time. (By default the time period will be days, but that can be changed to hours, months, etc.)
- Press ENTER.
- It should look like the figure below:
6. To add a milestone the only difference is that the duration of the activity must be zero (below is an example):
Note: By double clicking on a Task or milestone, you can modify its information with a form that prompts
Grouping Tasks in Logical Order (WBS Outline)
Outlining helps organize your tasks into more manageable chunks. You can indent related tasks under a more general task, creating a hierarchy. The general tasks are called summary tasks; the indented tasks below the summary task are subtasks. A summary task’s start and finish dates are determined by the start and finish dates of its earliest and latest subtasks.
- Click once on the first activity of the group of activities you want to group. For the example Activities 4 and 5
2. Then click on the option “New Task” in the “Insert” Menu to insert a new task that will represent the name of the group (“Group 1” for this example)
3. Then select the tasks below (4 and 5) and then click in the option “Outline-Indent” in the “Project” Menu