This course addresses the activities required in the process of production of products and delivery of services. Background of concepts, processes and institutions in the production of goods and services will be covered
This course will present the student with an introduction to the scope of operations problems that are common within industry. Problems will include those solved under certainty (e.g. facility layout and location) as well as under risk (quality control and probabilistic inventory). The topics will range from purely descriptive to mathematically rigorous. Students will also survey and learn about trends and innovations in operations, and the impact of these trends on a global society.
Upon the successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Make operational decisions (e.g. inventory, facility location, scheduling);
- Develop Project Management plans;
- Research and discuss international and current operations issues ;
- Evaluate trends in operations-related innovations;
- Apply software to solve operational problems;
- Discuss the results of operations analysis effectively; and
- Integrate functional areas together the operations function.