ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System
ISO 22000 is an international standard that specifies requirements for a food safety management system. An FSMS based on ISO 22000 gives food producers a structured approach and necessary mechanisms to manage the safety of their products and services. As part of the FSMS, ISO 22000 requires the establishment of effective communication with interested parties, implementing a risk-based approach, establishing and maintaining prerequisite programs, hazard control plans (OPRPs and CCPs), monitoring the performance of FSMS and food safety, and seeking and realizing continual improvement opportunities.
This training course will help you:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the concepts, approaches, methods, and techniques used for the implementation and effective management of an FSMS
- Acknowledge the correlation between ISO 22000 and other standards and regulatory frameworks
- Gain the ability to interpret the requirements of ISO 22000 in the specific context of an organization
- Develop the necessary knowledge and expertise to support an organization in effectively planning, implementing, managing, monitoring, and maintaining an FSMS
- Acquire the expertise to advise an organization in implementing FSMS best practices
Why should you attend?
The age of globalization has brought new challenges to all industries, and the food industry is no exception. The origin and safety of food products is a main concern in today’s market. It has become increasingly difficult to have proper knowledge on the production methods and origin of food products. Internationally recognized food safety measures are no longer a privilege; they have become a basic requirement for all organizations that deal with food production or service.
The implementation of a food safety management system (FSMS) is a strategic decision for ensuring the safety of food delivered to the consumer. This training course, developed by PECB, aims to help participants develop the knowledge and skills necessary to support an organization in establishing, implementing, managing, and maintaining an FSMS based on ISO 22000 and other best practices. Implementers play a key role in an organization’s ability to successfully implement and maintain an FSMS.
The training course enables you to help organizations establish processes needed to maintain the quality and safety their products and services, while adhering to all legal, regulatory, and other requirements. As part of this training course, you will learn how to establish controls that proactively prevent noncompliance and contribute to the creation of a culture of safety, integrity, transparency, and openness.
The training course is followed by the certification exam. If you pass, you can apply for the “PECB Certified ISO 22000 Lead Implementer” credential. The “PECB ISO 22000 Lead Implementer” certificate is internationally recognized. It validates your professional capabilities and competences to implement an FSMS in an organization based on the requirements of ISO 22000.
Who should attend?
- Managers or consultants involved in food safety management
- Expert advisors interested in mastering the implementation process of a food safety management system
- Individuals responsible for maintaining conformity to the FSMS requirements in an organization
- FSMS team member
This training course is participant centered and contains:
- Theories, approaches, and best practices used in food safety management system implementation
- Lecture sessions illustrated with practical examples based on a case study that includes role-playing and discussions
- Interaction between participants by means of questions and suggestions
- Exercises, which are a simulation and a preview of the certification exam
The main requirements for participating in this training course are a fundamental understanding of food safety concepts, a basic knowledge of ISO management system standards, as well as a general understanding of ISO 22000 and the MS implementation principles.
Training Course Structure
Introduction to ISO 22000 and the initiation of an FSMS
- Training course objectives and structure
- Standards and regulatory frameworks
- Fundamental concepts and principles of food safety management
- Initiation of the FSMS implementation
- The organization and its context
- Leadership and commitment
- FSMS scope and food safety policy
Implementation plan of an FSMS
- Risk management and FSMS objectives
- Resource management
- Awareness and communication
- Documentation management
- Operations management and PRPs
Implementation of an FSMS
- Traceability system
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Hazard control
- Control of monitoring and measuring
- Verification related to PRPs and the hazard control plan
- Control of product and process nonconformities
- Monitoring, measurement, analysis, and evaluation
Performance evaluation, continual improvement, and preparation for the certification audit
- Internal audit
- Management review
- Treatment of nonconformities
- Continual improvement
- Preparation for the certification audit
- Closing of the training course
- Exam Duration : 3 hours
The PECB Certified ISO 22000 Lead Implementer exam fully meets the requirements of the PECB Examination and Certification Program (ECP). It covers the following competency domains:
- Domain 1: Fundamental principles and concepts of a food safety management system
- Domain 2: Food safety management system requirements
- Domain 3: Planning of an FSMS implementation based on ISO 22000
- Domain 4: Implementation of an FSMS based on ISO 22000
- Domain 5: Monitoring and measurement of an FSMS based on ISO 22000
- Domain 6: Continual improvement of an FSMS based on ISO 22000
- Domain 7: Preparation for an FSMS certification audit
Upon the successful completion of the exam, you can apply for one of the credentials shown in the table below. You will receive a certificate once you fulfill all the requirements related to the selected credential. For more information about ISO 22000 certifications and the PECB certification process, please refer to the Certification Rules and Policies.
The PECB ISO 22000 Implementer certification scheme has the following requirements:
Note: PECB Certified Individuals who do possess the Lead Implementer and Lead Auditor Credentials are qualified for the respective PECB Master Credential, given they have taken 4 additional Foundation Exams which are related to this scheme. For more detailed information about the Foundation Exams and the overall Master Requirements, please go to the following link: https://pecb.com/en/master-credentials.
To be considered valid, the implementation activities should follow best practices and include the following:
- Drafting an FSMS implementation plan
- Initiating an FSMS implementation
- Implementing an FSMS
- Monitoring, measuring, and maintaining an FSMS
- Identifying and acting upon continual improvement opportunities
Why choose PECB for an ISO 22000 certification?
By successfully completing a PECB ISO 22000 training course and obtaining a certification, among others, you will be able to:
- Comprehend the main concepts and principles of food safety management
- Support and guide organizations in improving their general performance in food safety
- Understand the best practices and adequate controls necessary in the food chain
- Help organizations prevent and reduce the risks of contaminants in their products and work environment
- Help organizations establish a traceability system
- Support organizations in creating and protecting value
- Help organizations gain competitive advantage
- Determine whether an organization’s FSMS conforms to ISO 22000 requirements
- Enable organizations achieve their food safety objectives