In order to appear when using the project-level filter, a resource or role must be assigned to an activity. The project manager most typically plans the project schedule using trade skills and not individual resources. Schedule work is therefore initially assigned to roles. A schedule in which all relevant activities have roles or resources assigned is called a resource loaded schedule.
Assigning resources to activities by role facilitates resource staffing for activities because you can use roles with specific skill sets as resource assignments until specific resources can be assigned.
- Choose Project, Activities.
- Select the activity for which you want to assign a resource.
- Display Activity Details, then click the Resources tab.
- Click Assign by Role.
- The Assign Resources by Role dialog box lists the roles assigned to the selected activities. Under each role is a list of resources who can fulfill the role.
- Select the resource you want to assign. To assign multiple resources, hold down the Ctrl key, then click each resource you want to assign.
Click the Assign button, then click the Close button.