Project templates allow organizations to create standard project models containing default information applicable to the organization. In particular, a calendar with the local public holidays should be created along with Views with redefined headers and footers to suit your organization. Therefore to save time when you create a new project, you should generate your own templates to suit the different types of projects your organization undertakes.
- Learn MS.Project 2019 Fundamentals in Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Ottawa, & Montreal
- Learn Advanced Techniques in MS.Project 2019 in Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Ottawa, & Montreal
Setting the Project Template Directory
To create and use templates for new projects you firstly create the directory to save the templates in:
- Select or create a location on your hard drive or network to save your templates, typically using Explorer,
- Select File, Options, Save and set your Default personal templates location here,
At this point in time when you select File, New there will be an additional option for Featured and Personal Templates. Personal Templates are templates you create and save into your template directory.
Create a Template in MS.Project
To create a template:
Saving a project, with or without tasks, in Template (*.mpt) format in your Microsoft Project Template directory.
You will be given some options when saving the template.
- This template will be available when you select File, New, My templates.
- This directory where user templates are saved may be changed by selecting the File, Options, Save tab.
- Templates may be deleted by selecting the template in the New (project) form, right-clicking to open a menu and selecting Delete
Creating a New Project from a Template in Microsoft Project
To create a new project from a template:
- Select File, New:
Featured are similar to the Microsoft Project Office.com Templates, this will allow you to access Microsoft’s templates.
Personal allows you to open templates on your computer.
- Click on the Personal and after you have created your own templates these will be available from the Personal Templates tab
- Select the required template from the form by double-clicking on the template button and then you set the project start date in the next form
At this point in earlier versions of Microsoft Project you would normally set the Project Start date in the Project Information form by selecting Project, Properties group, Project Information to open this form. But in Microsoft Project 2013 and 2016 this date has now been set.
Learn MS.Project 2019 Fundamentals in Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Ottawa, & Montreal
Learn Advanced Techniques in MS.Project 2019 in Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Ottawa, & Montreal
Learn Project Scheduling by taking our PMI-SP Scheduling Professional Exam Prep Class in Toronto
Learn Project Scheduling by taking our PMI-SP Scheduling Professional Online self-Paced Learning Course