Resources refer to people, facilities, machinery, cost, or materials needed to create the project product. Resources are assigned to tasks and significantly affect the quality, duration, and cost of the project. An assignment identifies which resource, in many cases in the form of a person (or people), will work on a task.
Assigning resources to tasks is also called resource loading, and when you’re done you have a resource-loaded schedule. After resources are assigned, it is important to note that a new collection of assignment fields gets populated.
The following are the many different ways you can assign resources to tasks.
- Task Information dialog box
- Spreadsheet/Table (left side)
- Assign Resources dialog box
- Task Form view (lower pane of a combination view)
- Team Planner view
- Task Usage view
- Resource Usage view
In most assignment methods, Project 2019 creates a flat workload, which means the work hours are evenly distributed across the life of the task. Generally, a flat workload is a good enough approximation of the true workload. If it isn’t, you should consider breaking up the tasks into smaller tasks or use the work contour feature.
In this article we are going to add assignments with the Task Information Box.
Assigning with the Task Information Dialog
This is a fast, easy way to assign resources by working within the Gantt Chart view.
Here’s how to assign resources.
1. click Gantt Chart in the View group on the Task tab.
2. Locate the row of the task to which you want to assign resources.
3. Double-click the Task Name field to launch the Task Information dialog box.
4. On the Resources tab, in the first row, select the resource name from the down-arrow. If necessary fill in the Units and Cost.
5. Repeat for each additional resource and then click OK.
6. Repeat for each task as needed.
To remove a resource from a task, select the name of the resource in the Resource Name field and press the Delete key. The selected list of resource names will automatically display to the right of the Gantt Chart bars.